Thursday, January 28, 2010

Rooney Strike Man Utd to Wembley

Thursday, January 28, 2010
Man Utd 3(4)-1(3) Man City

Manchester United defeated rivals Manchester City 3-1 at Old Trafford to progress into the League Cup final. United took a two goal lead thanks to Paul Scholes and Michael Carrick, before Carlos Tevez looked to have sent the game into extra time. Wayne Rooney scored an injury time winner to send the Citizens out of the competition.

The first few minutes were scrappy but Manchester United soon took control. Wayne Rooney chased down a ball thrown over the top of the City defence in the eighth minute. Collecting the ball on the edge of the box, he engineered space for a shot, his strike was solid but straight at Shay Given and the Citizens 'keeper saved comfortably.

United had the next chance four minutes later, City headed clear a free-kick crossed into the box from the left wing. The ball came out to Paul Scholes, who lined up for a half-volley with his right foot. His technique was crisp, but the shot was always rising and it cleared the crossbar.

Shaun Wright-Phillips created City's first opportunity from open play, with the English winger beating Patrice Evra and driving into the penalty area from the right wing. He chipped the ball to Craig Bellamy in the centre, who aimed a strong header for the top right-hand corner, but Edwin van der Sar was positioned well and collected comfortably.

Carlos Tevez went on a dazzling run, jinking past Rio Ferdinand and into the United penalty area. Just as he was about to shoot, Ferdinand recovered with a sliding challenge to deny the Argentinian.

The Citizens were on the ascendency, Craig Bellamy attacked down the left flank and floated a cross towards the back post. Tevez met the ball with a diving header that zipped towards the bottom right-hand corner. Van der Sar dove to his left and managed to push the ball out of the danger area.

Manchester United responded with two chances in succession. First, Ryan Giggs unleased a low drive from the edge of the penalty area that Given did well to hold on to, before Rooney almost stole in front of the Irish goal keeper at the near post after a Michael Carrick cross from the right.

As the half drew to a close Wright-Phillips had a shot on goal from long range. It went straight to van der Sar who made a routine save.

The second half started with an outstanding individual effort by Micah Richards. Rooney was muscled off the ball by the City right-back, and Richards drove at the United defence. Cutting inside, the defender elected to shoot with his left foot from just outside the box. His effort arched towards the top right-hand corner and van der Sar made an excellent save, meeting the shot with his out-stretched left hand.

Tensions were starting to rise. Tevez picked up a booking for a sliding challenge on Rafael, with Bellamy and Ferdinand having a heated exchange in the aftermath. Emotions boiled over minutes later when Bellamy was waiting to take a corner kick. The Welshman was struck on the head with a coin thrown from the crowd and also had a bottle hurled in his direction when he was down on the ground.

Garerth Barry wasted the corner and Manchester United sprang on the counter. Rooney fired a wonderful ball over the top for Giggs, who entered the penalty area and was forced out wide by Given. The Welshman chipped the ball back into the middle and City looked to have closed out the danger, but Carrick nipped in to lay the ball off to Scholes, who hammered it into the bottom left-hand corner from the edge of the box: 1-0 to United.

United soon had a chance to extend their lead, Nani whipped a teasing ball across the face of the goal with his right foot. Dedryck Boyata had to deal with it, and managed to lift the ball over his own crossbar as Rooney was lurking for a tap in.

Manchester United had a second goal in the 71st minute. Nani ran along the edge of the box and played a difficult reverse pass to Darren Fletcher, who made made a run into the penalty area. The Scot controlled the ball superbly on his chest and was denied by a last ditch challenge. Carrick pounced on the loose ball, slotting into the far corner as Given dived to cover his near post: 2-0 to the Red Devils.

Rooney should have scored a third moments later. United tore through the City back line from the left, Giggs slid the ball to Evra, who had made run into the left-hand side of the box. In one fluid motion, Evra controlled and quickly played the ball inside to Rooney, who had the goal at his mercy. With Given stranded, Rooney managed to stab the ball wide of the left-hand post when it would have been easier to score.

Just as United were looking dominant, the momentum swung as Tevez popped up to score a vital goal for the Citizens. Bellamy checked onto his right foot and crossed towards the front post. Ferdinand stooped, looking certain to head clear, but Tevez threw his boot in front of the United centre-back and the ball zipped past van der Sar into the bottom right-hand corner: 2-1.

Manchester United booked their place in the final with a late goal from Rooney. Given made a fantastic reaction save from a close range header to concede a corner. Giggs took it short and received the return ball, he sent a beautiful cross into the box and an unmarked Rooney headed home from close range: 3-1 to United.


~ yus ~ said...

waaa.. best best best Man Utd menang!! (padan muka tevez!!) ahahahha :)

Faris said...

hahaha... Booo~~ Tevez!!!